Damone and I have been happily married since January 2002 in the LDS Salt Lake City Temple, where we were sealed for time and all eternity. Our most treasured and sacred moments have been shared with our beautiful children- Lydia, Kyler, Cooper, Maloree, and Lincoln. They are our greatest blessings and truly make life worth living.

November 23, 2010

Kitchen Table Revealed

This project took two weeks to complete and many hours of painting, but the results are SO WORTH IT. I love how it turned it out. The painting probably would have gone quicker if I sprayed it but I wanted to use what I had and buy as little as possible. So I used the white primer and bright white paint I already had from the Laundry room project and brushed it on. I spent a total of $30 on stain, poly, and sand paper. 

The process started with this table and chairs and this inspiration.
I started first by sanding the top of  the table. I sanded and sanded for ever it seemed and still could not get to bare wood, so I finally decided to settle by just getting the glossy finish off and then stain it (dark mahogany.) If I had gotten to bare wood, the stain would have been a lot darker but I actually like the color it turned out. I put three coats of stain on it.
I primed the table base and chairs white and then applied two coats of white paint. The primer I used is Zinsser-no sanding required. I sanded and distressed the chairs and table base randomly, then wiped them all down with a damp cloth to remove any dust and then stained them using the same stain as the table.
Once the stain was dry I applied the first coat of poly. I loved working with the water based poly-very low smell and and the dry time was two hours before you could apply the next coat. Lowes told me I needed to apply it with a $5 brush they showed me, but Thrifty Decor Chick uses a foam brush and so I took her advice instead and it worked great-I already had the foam brush. I applied two coats of poly on everything and a third coat on the top of the table.

The most time consuming thing was painting the chairs-the slats were a pain, I didn't want any paint drips to dry so I was very careful. The second thing was just the dry time. I let each coat including the stain to dry a full day before the next one. Did I say how much I LOVE IT!!!?


5 comments:

Mandie said...

VERY awesome, Tanna! You and Sarah are the re-do queens!

Aundrea said...

GORGEOUS!!! Love it, love it, love it!!!!

Berry Family said...

Tanna is look AMAZING! Glad you did it. I love how it turned out. Awesome job!

Brad Hyde Family said...

That looks awesome-I think i have the same set. Someday I want to do that. I love it!

Karryn and Roger said...

I love this. you did such an awesome job.

Related Posts with Thumbnails