Lincoln Alt Shumard
November 10, 2009 at 1:20pm
7 pounds 13 ounces
20 inches long
The kids were so excited to meet their new brother for the first time. Kyler was so absorbed with Lincoln and he kept asking if he could see his feet-he says they are so adorable. Kyler even predicted the 10th as the birth day even before we were sceduled to be induced. Each of the kids got to open a present from Lincoln (big brother, big sister clothes and a little kitchen toy).
The second day the kids came to visit they were wearing their new clothes from Lincoln.
I wanted to get a picture of all the kids together, the boys were so mad that they weren't the ones who got to hold Lincoln-Lydia however had no problem with the situation, can you tell?
Our sweet little cutie at home.
So what happened with our little breech baby? Here is the story-warning this could be long. I went to my doctors appt. on Monday the 9th and our little gymnast was complete breech again after being head down the week before. We were actually scheduled to be induced the next day so our doctor just told us to come two hours earlier for him to do the version. Well after the doctors pelvic exam trying to make sure of the position of the baby, I just had a feeling I wasn't going to make it to the morning. Sure enough after being crampy all day at 7pm I was having contractions every 5 minutes 60 seconds long. We called the doctor and he said to come in and not wait for the morning. We arrived at the hospital at 8:30pm and after being evaluated they decided the version would need to be done that night since I had already started to go into labor and the uterus needs to be relaxed in order to do the version. So after 4 tries they got my I.V., then the epidural (which is the precaution something goes wrong and they need to do an emergency c-section), a shot of terbutaline to stop the contractions since I was in labor- my doctor got Lincoln-who was now transverse by this time to turn in 1 minute. After the version we were moved to our labor room and was started on pitocin to induce labor at around 11pm. Little did we know that we would be in the hospital a total of 17 hours before our little miracle was born. I couldn't sleep the whole night because the terbutaline made me so wired.
Early the next morning I was only dilated to a 5 and at a +1 station, which upon arriving at the hospital the night before I was at a 2. I let the epidural wear off completely because I hate the dead leg feeling and not being able to walk around. The nurse came in around 8am and did an exam and said I was at a -4 station I just looked at her like "come again" how could he be moving backwards? My doctor came around 11am -by this time I had the epidural started again and I explained to him what the nurse had said so he decided to check and sure enough Lincoln had flipped yet again and was transverse. Dr. L. said that the cord was probably around his neck with him wanting to change position so much and especially favoring the transverse position.
Because Lincoln was up so high now being transverse during the doctors exam my water ended up breaking (I have never seen so much fluid my doctor was shocked at how much there was). Dr. L. looked at me and said we're going to need to do a c-section right now, we can't let his cord prolapse with the way he is positioned. So all the nurses ran off to prep the operating room. I was so exhausted after not getting any sleep the night before and after 12 hours of labor I was ready to just have him here. Dr. L. removed his hand when the nurses brought the bed in to put me on and another huge gush of fluid came out-Dr. L. had the nurse bring in an ultrasound machine to verify the position before operating and come to find out that last gush of fluid had flipped Lincoln again into the head down position. However the baby's head was still really high, it wasn't right up against the cervix so they had me push a few times to bring his head down. Dr. L. told the nurses to hold off with the c-section that the baby was in position again. With each contraction the baby's heart rate would go down, Damone and I were getting really worried, we just couldn't handle anymore. The doctor and the nurses said that was normal if the cord is around his neck that as long as it comes back up after the contraction there was no cause for alarm. I could only sit sitting up because any other position the baby's heart rate would go down and wouldn't come back up. This caused my epidural to not take on the right side of my abdomen. The anesthesiologist came in and tried giving me more pain relief but I could just feel it go straight to my legs and no where else, I finally told the nurses I will just deal with the pain because I'm going to end up being so numb I wont be able to push.
After two heart wrenching hours of watching the heart rate plummet and them come back up I was fully dilated. I was so surprised I was actually going to be delivering this baby, I watched the nurses prep the room for the pushing and for the baby and I then realized they really think I wont need a c-section. Dr. L. said he was confident I could get this baby out quick and wouldn't need to use forceps. I pushed for about 6 contractions and his head came out-sure enough the cord was wrapped around his neck. The doctor immediately took it off before allowing the baby to be completely delivered. Finally, he was here after 14 hours of labor and wondering if everything was going to be okay. I am so thankful for a great doctor who has the expertise to know what to do at the right times. After a very long and emotionally and physically draining pregnancy, we had a very long and emotionally and physically draining labor and delivery. We are so relieved how everything turned out and to have Lincoln here with us now happy and healthy. Many many prayers have been answered.



11 comments:
Congratulations to you all! Seems God is always reminding us what a miracle life is! I can't wait to meet the little guy and see you and the kids.
Kristi
Hooray! He's so handsome! Congrats! We are really happy for you! Glad everything turned out fine in the end and he's healthy. You have a beautiful family!!
Congratulations!!! We are so happy that he is here safe and sound. He looks adorable!
Congratulations Tanna and Damone! I'm so glad your little guy is finally here. I also love his name...my nephew that is Marcus's age is named Lincoln. What a cute baby! I hope all continues to go well for you!
Congrats... I am glad everything ended up ok. He is soo cute. wish you the best.
We are so happy that he has arrived. Jovie asked "Can I go give him kisses, because he has a really cute face!" I love it. He is aorable & so beautiful! Congratulations. So glad that everything went well & he arrived safetly.
Congrats, Shumard family! Lincoln looks like a handsome little guy. So happy for you and that everyone's doing well! take care!
Phew! I am so glad he's here safe and sound! Congrats! Love Katie
He is so beautiful! I am so glad this chapter in your book is over and now you guys can love and hug on your perfct little boy! What a roller coaster ride! I am so glad Heavenly Father obviously put his hand in at the final moment and let everything be okay. Gotta tell you, I love the huge smiles on all the kids faces, especailly Kyler. He looks so happy to have his baby brother here!
Oh My! You poor thing!! I am so relieved your story has a happy ending! And he is so beautiful! (really, I am not just saying that!) But at least you already have a heads up about what his little personality will be like!!!!
Congratulations on your baby boy. He is beautiful and I'm glad he is hear and healthy. What a blessing he will be to you and your family. I can't wait to see him.
Post a Comment