Damone and I have been happily married since January 2002 in the LDS Salt Lake City Temple, where we were sealed for time and all eternity. Our most treasured and sacred moments have been shared with our beautiful children- Lydia, Kyler, Cooper, Maloree, and Lincoln. They are our greatest blessings and truly make life worth living.

March 20, 2009

Nothing Like a Fresh Coat of Paint

All of the lighting in our house is that gold/brass finish and we don't really care for it. So we are in the process of changing them all out. I decided before we go and buy new chandeliers for the dining room and kitchen I would try spray painting them. Well they turned out awesome! and we saved a lot of money.

Kitchen Chandelier "Before"
This light brand new from Lowes $118

Kitchen Chandelier "After"

Total cost with new glass and paint $25

Dining Chandelier "Before"

Brand new from Lowes $203

Dining Chandelier "After"

Cost of paint $10

I have had a few people ask how I did this, so here is what I did. It is super easy. The brand of spray paint is from Lowes called RustOleum they may carry it at other stores. I used their primer as the base coat and then their black textured paint for the top coat. The texture really makes it look like an iron finish. They have a ton of colors and the lid shows what the color and texture turns out like. We took the lights down and took all the bulbs out and taped off the candle sticks and where the bulbs insert as well as the tops of the wires where they actually hook into the ceiling. Then I hung them up on a screw in the garage door and painted away. You have to spray at all angles to get everything covered evenly and I painted everything, the chain and cord included. Because I am not that patient, I waited a few hours for the primer to dry and then I did the top coat. After I was done and took all the tape off, I thought the candle sticks were a little too white against the black so I used the brown glaze I already had from faux finishing in my house and wiped it on the candle sticks, it's hard to see in the picture-it turned out really rustic looking.

8 comments:

Allison said...

LOVE it! I think I'm going to do that!!!

Berry Family said...

Heck! I am loving those. We have the same ones, & we can't stand them. What is the brand of spray paint you got? I will have to try that with ours. Let me know!

Emily Hamilton said...

Brilliant!!! I love it! How did you do that...seriously?? Good work!

Cindy and Ben said...

Wow those light fixtures look good! We'll definitely try it on our brass chandelier!

Allison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allison said...

I love the paint in your dining room. Do you know the color by chance?

Tara said...

You are ingenious! That looks really great and I love the savings! :-)

Carrie said...

That looks awesome. Thanks for the tip now that we just replaced all of our fixtures in the formal area. Next time a heads up a little earlier would be great. j/k I am really impressed. Amazing what such talented and inspired women like you can come up with.

Related Posts with Thumbnails